From October 1st through November 16th, 2017, the Jerusalem Biennale will be held for the third time in various locations around the city center of Jerusalem.
The Jerusalem Biennale is dedicated to exploring the spaces in which contemporary art and the Jewish world of content intersect. It is a platform for present-day professional artists and curators to exhibit works and present exhibitions that refer to Jewish thought, spirit, tradition or experience.
The Jerusalem Biennale is seeking institutions, artists’ groups and independent curators worldwide to submit proposals for the 3rd Jerusalem Biennale – organized around the theme of Watershed.
- a time when an important change happens
- a line of hills or mountains from which rivers drain : a ridge between two rivers
- the area of land that includes a particular river or lake and all the rivers, streams, etc., that flow into it (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Jerusalem, where so many watershed events have changed the course of Jewish and world history, will host the 3rd Biennale from October 1st through November 16th, 2017. Our call to artists’ groups, art institutions and independent curators is to pursue this theme and submit proposals for exhibitions and projects.
What should be in the proposal?
- Exhibition Title
- Exhibition Theme (up to 200 words)
- Name of the Curator + one-page description of previous relevant experience
- List of Participating Artists
- List of Images*
- Jerusalem Venue (optional)
- List of organizations involved
- Expected Budget (including self-resources)**
Proposals for performance and events programing to accompany the exhibition can be included as part of the proposal or can be added at a later stage.
*The images should be as relevant to the actual show proposed as possible: in the case of existing pieces, an image of the actual piece is required. In the case of art works that will be produced for JB2017, attach images of related art works by the same artist, as well as a short description of the new work and its connection with previous work by that artist.
**The number of exhibitions to be part of JB2017 is not pre-determined. The decision will take into account the financial constraints of the Biennale.
Deadline for Submission: November 10th, 2016
Answers will be given by January 26th, 2017
Biennale Dates: October 1st – November 16th, 2017