Toronto Biennial of Art is growing. To support our development, we are seeking dynamic and devoted Board members to lead and represent the organization. TBA’s Board of Directors leads strategy, establishes practices and policies, and oversees operations and finances.
About Toronto Biennial of Art (TBA)
TBA makes contemporary art available to everyone. In the tradition of influential art biennials like those held in Venice, Sydney, and São Paulo, the Toronto Biennial of Art is a large-scale international contemporary visual arts event. For 10 weeks every two years, local and international Biennial artists transform the city (and surrounding regions) with artworks, talks, and performances that reflect local contexts and pressing issues of our time. The Biennial’s free, citywide programming aims to inspire people, bridge communities, and contribute to global conversations.
Five years in the planning, the inaugural Toronto Biennial launched in 2019, and was a popular and critical success. TBA welcomed nearly 300,000 local and international visitors to 15 sites, featuring 161 artists and performers. The Biennial provided expanded views of contemporary art practice, including significant contributions by BIPOC artists and artworks, and established a legacy of free and accessible contemporary arts programming in Toronto, Mississauga, and the surrounding GTA.
For detailed information on the impact of the first Biennial, please read the 2019 Evaluation Report.
TBA is committed to transparency and to principles of anti-racism, anti-oppression, equity, and inclusion and is putting these principles into practice at all levels of the organization. Please see TBA’s recent Statement of Accountability for more information on our commitment to racial justice.
Prospective Board members should have some (or several) of the following general qualifications:
- Capacity to contribute time, energy, and resources to TBA and Board
- Leadership in the non-profit sector
- A passion for contemporary art and culture
- Strategic thinking
- Fundraising abilities and/or connections to sources of private or public support
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
- Strong community ties
TBA seeks Board members with the following specific experience:
- Human Resources
- Equity and Diversity
- Strategic Planning
- Government Relations
- Practicing Artists
- Communications and/or Public Relations
- Community Building
- Event Planning and Management
- Serve a 3-year term, renewable, beginning September 1, 2020
- Attend up to 8 meetings per year
- Work with staff (including ED) to develop and implement best practices/ policies
- Implement all with a view to anti-racism, anti-oppression, equity, and inclusivity
- Participate in fundraising and arranging sponsorships
- Activation of personal and professional networks
- Support TBA’s curatorial vision
- Facilitate community and local partnerships
- Oversee the financial health of the organization month-to-month and long-term
- Ability to mentor and support others, including staff and fellow Board members
- Develop and steward Board and governance policies and structures
- Attend and support TBA events
- Represent TBA’s vision and mandate in communities across the GTA and internationally
Board membership is voluntary. Board members may not receive financial compensation or other benefit. TBA welcomes applicants of any age or background and encourages applications from energetic and committed individuals with no prior Board experience.
Toronto Biennial of Art is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all of our work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and welcome applications from all qualified individuals. We encourage those who identify as women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, individuals of non-conforming gender and sexual orientations, and all groups protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code to apply. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the review process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Toronto Biennial of Art.
Please send a confidential statement of interest along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.